- Floodlighting creates decorative images at night: the controlled interplay of light and shadow emphasizes the architecture of façades and buildings and heightens the dramatic impact of sculptures.
- A very important requirement for exterior luminaires: anti-glare shielding.
- Light colours: cold-white or neutral-white light works well with modern buildings, warm-white light is the solution preferred for classical architecture.
- Fibre-optic systems are a good choice for illuminating fountains and other water features.
- Light sources recommended for accentuating trees and shrubs: high-pressure sodium vapour lamps for reddish foliage, metal halide lamps for trees with vibrant green, yellow-green or blue-green leaves or needles.
- Precise planning avoids light immissions which could disturb neighbours.